It can be cheaper to hire a private tutor directly, so why should you use a tutoring agency?
The biggest reason is that tutoring in the UK is unregulated. Anybody can set themselves up as a tutor. They don’t need to have formal qualifications, experience or be particularly skilled in the area they teach. Tutors working alone cannot process their own DBS check (a DBS check is carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Service and is a record of a person’s criminal convictions and cautions). In order to obtain a DBS check tutors working alone need to go through an organisation such as the Tutors’ Association, but many choose not to join because individual membership is costly.
Should I use a private tutor directory website?
Private tutor directory websites are created all the time and they have thousands of tutor profiles you can browse. On the face of it that sounds brilliant, but there are significant drawbacks:
- Many websites list tutors from all over the country and don’t specialise in your particular locality, which means you have to sift through a lot of profiles to find a skilled, local tutor.
- Not all directory websites undertake DBS checks making it easy for criminal offenders to slip in unnoticed.
- Most directory websites do not interview tutors face-to-face. This wouldn’t happen in any other professional field – especially one involving children! Personal interviews are a vital aspect of the selection process.
- If you’re unhappy with your tutor, a directory website will take little or no responsibility for the problem.
Why use a tutoring agency?
- Your tutor will have been properly vetted saving you having to ask awkward questions about DBS checks, references and qualifications. A reputable agency will follow safe recruiting practices by:
- Obtaining DBS Certificates and reviewing them annually.
- Obtaining references from previous employers as well as personal references.
- Verifying qualifications.
- Interviewing tutors face-to-face.
- Your child will receive a higher standard of tuition because you will be assigned a tutor who is specifically matched their needs. When matching tutors and students consideration is given to:
- Whether the tutor is qualified to teach the subject at the student’s level and beyond.
- The tutor’s and the student’s personalities.
- How well the tutor can tailor their teaching to the student’s learning styles.
- Tutors must agree to follow the agency’s quality standards. If they do not follow best working practices the agency will act because their reputation depends upon the quality of their home tuition service.
- Your tutor will be local making it easier to organise regular tutoring sessions at a time that suits you. They may also have taught at schools in your local area.
- If your tutor is ill or on holiday, an agency can find you another tutor to at short notice.
Why choose TutorMyKids?
TutorMyKids is a premium home tuition service, so in addition we:
- Meet you and your child at home to discuss specific learning requirements and to answer any questions that you have. This consultation is free of charge.
- Liaise with your child’s teacher to identify areas of need so that we work with them to ensure your child reaches their full potential.
- Find you a local tutor. We specialise in providing maths, English, humanities and language tuition in Cambridgeshire and Suffolk.
- Match your child to a well-qualified, experienced tutor. With a few exceptions, all of our tutors are qualified teachers working in UK schools.
- Match you with a tutor who is:
- up-to-date with the current syllabus;
- has high learning expectations for all students;
- organised and prepared so that lessons are structured, active and engaging;
- able to adapt their teaching to keep motivation levels high;
- able to form a positive, warm relationship with your child to ensure they achieve;
- committed to communicating with you after every lesson to discuss your child’s progress and next steps.
- Provide tutoring in your own home, unless you specify otherwise, so that your child feels secure and comfortable.
- Talk to you regularly about how your child’s tuition is going, so that if any adjustments need to be made then action can be taken.
Qualified teacher and founder of TutorMyKids, Rachel Law, is committed to helping all children to reach their full potential. Rachel only selects private tutors who share her dedication to achievement.
To find out how TutorMyKids can help your child, please get in touch for a free consultation.